Organized by: La Point Surf Camps
Surfing Camp in Alentejo Portugal
- Beginner Surf Course: This course is for you who have never surfed before, or haven't surfed for a while and want to repeat the basics. We'll give you a fun and encouraging introduction to surfing, and share the stoke when you catch your very first white water waves. Our experienced instructors will make sure you'll catch as many waves as possible and develop your skills in a safe and enjoyable way. This course is all about having fun together in the ocean. We'll introduce you to the basics of surf theory, techniques and practical topics from carrying your board safely to catching waves. Our instructors strive to create a supportive environment where you feel motivated to learn as much as possible. The goal of the course is to enable you to surf small white water waves all by yourself.
- Theory: You'll learn where and when it all started and gain insight into the different types of boards and how they have developed over the years. Learn the language of surfing and surf-specific phrases and expressions. The types of rips, waves, weather, conditions, tides and how they work, places to surf, different types of waves; beach, point and reef breaks. We’ll go through how to behave in the water, how to handle the board in and outside the water, how to handle the crowd of other surfers, how to fall after you have surfed a wave, and where in the water you should be as a beginner. An introduction of all surf gear; type of boards, fins, leash, wetsuit, reef boots, wax etc. We’ll also go through the different parts of the board; nose, tail, up, down etc. How to position yourself on the board, paddling, handling, and sit on the board to avoid hurting yourself or anyone around you. Learn how to do the perfect pop-up and get up on your board quickly and safely - at the right time. We start with belly rides to understand when the whitewater has the most power and advance to standing up on your board, riding the waves. The teacher will give you specific instructions for what to work on, so you'll know exactly how to best progress and achieve the goals of the course. For this course, we use soft top surfboards or longboards with plenty of flotation to allow for easy paddling and stable rides.
- Level 2: Get out to the lineup and surf green waves, improve your wave selection and learn how to go right and left on a wave. This level is designed for you who have passed our Level 1 course or can catch and ride white water waves on your own. Level 2 will focus on getting to the outside (lineup) and ride waves going left and right. The instructor will create an encouraging learning platform with a focus on having as much fun as possible when surfing. Surfing from what's called 'the lineup' we'll teach you how to catch green waves and ride the face of the wave. In the lineup, there are also a few written and unwritten rules you need to know, so we'll go through these and much more. In the process, you'll become a better surfer - and have a great time doing it!
- Theory: Introduction to the lineup and the written and unwritten rules to follow when surfing in this area. We cover topics on how to behave in the water, crowd handling, positioning, pecking order, how to fall, and where to paddle back out without being in danger of hurting yourself or others. In this course, you'll no longer only be in the shallows on the inside sandbank but outside in deeper water. Therefore, we'll teach you everything you need to know about ocean safety and factors like rips, tides, waves and weather to ensure your safety in the ocean. Throughout the week, the local surf teacher will take you to different spots according to the swell and weather conditions. This means you'll learn what spots work best on different tides, swell- and wind directions, so you can spend your time surfing the best spots at the right times. The coach will see what you need to improve and which adjustments are required to take your surfing to the next level. There are many types of boards for different kinds of waves, body types and skillsets. During the course, you'll learn more about these. You'll also have the opportunity to try out some different ones. The goal for this course is to become comfortable catching waves on your own, standing up and surfing down the line, going left and right. Learn the language of surfing and develop a broader understanding of the jargon and culture. We'll help you refresh and tighten up your lineup game, making sure you know how to position yourself on the board and in the lineup. We'll practice the turtle roll and duck dive.
- Level 3: Get comfortable surfing on your own, improve your spot analysis and wave reading skills and develop surfing technique and confidence with video coaching. This course is designed for you that can catch green waves on your own, and surf frontside and backside. We'll surf mellow reef-, point- and beach breaks and help you feel confident surfing most breaks independently. We'll also focus on entry and exit from the break, surf etiquette and safety. Now that you know how to go left and right, we'll go through everything you need to know to catch bigger waves and perform basic manoeuvres. You'll learn different techniques, and get personal guidance from the instructor when trying them out. Your instructor will take you to the most suitable spot each day. We'll surf in head high conditions if possible, but our priority is to find the waves where you can progress the most.
- Theory: During this course you'll become more confident in the lineup. There are many factors to think about in the lineup, in addition to catching waves. We'll go through what you need to know to stay safe and have a good time by yourself and the surfers around you. To help you gain confidence in the water, we'll look closer at where to paddle out in the lineup, how to perfect your duck dive, where the rips run, where to exit the water etc. Knowing this, you'll be much more confident and catch many more waves. Moving on from the basics of how the ocean works, we'll invite you to learn more about reading swell charts for not only the nearby spots but your local spots at home. Improving your forecast analysis ability is crucial to help you be at the right spot at the right time. During the Level 3 course, we'll teach you how to read the conditions, the crowd and sufficiently evaluate risk and reward. These are valuable skills you'll need for the rest of your blessed life as an independent surfer. The coach will mostly be in the water to guide you to make the right decisions and help you learn and implement the things we go through in this course.During the course, you'll get specific tips and input on what type of board the coach recommend for you to maintain the optimal progression.
We have a variety of boards at the camps, so you can also test different equipment to find your favourite set-up.
- More Theory: The goal for this course is for you to become relaxed surfing waves up to head high on your own. As part of that process, we'll teach and develop your technique on bottom turn, trimming, manoeuvres, duck dives and more. As we continue to develop your surfing, we relate to new aspects of the wave, the ocean and the manoeuvres in your growing bag of tricks. With that comes a more extensive vocabulary and increased understanding of the surfing lingo. We polish your paddle technique, how you navigate a lineup, and how you best swing around when a set comes. All this is key to catching a lot of waves from the lineup. The duck dive is an essential part of growing as a surfer, and avoid using energy on unnecessary paddling. We'll help you perform the duck dive the best way possible. If this is not correct, you might miss out on the best waves of the session. The same goes for timing; you need to be in the right spot and pop up at the right time to set up the wave. We'll work on all these aspects in the course. To give you some visual feedback, we will film a minimum one session. When analyzing the footage together, you'll have some clearly identified areas to work on. We use a wide range of epoxy boards depending on your level, wave conditions and the type of surfing you want to do. Naturally, you can bring your own board as well if you wish.
facilities / Location:
La Point Surf Camp
Lapoint Surf Camp Alentejo, Unnamed Road, 7520, Portugal
La Point Surf Camp
Lapoint Surf Camp Alentejo, Unnamed Road, 7520, Portugal
- Send us a message at any time on WhatsApp if you have any questions or concerns.
- WhatsApp: +43 677 6440 4859
- KakaoTalk: jgolds11
Write Review ×